Fall is in the air, the nights are getting darker, and the temperature is dropping. It's time to prepare your closet for fall!
Here are my tips how to get the best fall wardrobe:
- During spring/summer you wear light leather jackets or denim jackets, but they get to chilly for fall. Put them away! But you can, however, wear them as long as possible. Just wear a knitted sweater under and put a scarf around you neck, and you're good to go for maybe another month.
- Ballerinas, sneakers, shoes with "peepholes" aren't the best shoes when fall arrives. They tend to get wet and cold. Clean the shoes, so they are good to go next year, and but them away. Of course, you can wear snikers on "dry" days, when it isn't raining, and you can bring your ballerinas to wherever you're going, and change when you're indoors.
- Open your closet. Take a good look; what are the must summer-ish items you got? Pick em' out, and put them on your bed. It can be floral prints, pastel colors, see-trough stuff and so on. You just know in your heart that this items won't be on you top priority list when you're going to dress for fall. So put em' away! But before you do, take a look in the September issues of fashion magazines, and see what summer items can be brought into the new season with the right styling.
- Jeans comes in many shapes and colors. Put the light washed jeans in the back. You'd most likely be wearing the black and the darkest one during fall/winter. Denim shorts can be worn all year around, just add a thick pantyhouse.
- Take a look at your accessories; do you have any pieces that are very typical for summer? Shell bracelets or something like that? Put them away! It's just wrong to wear cute summer accessories when it's fall.
- Now you've cleaned out the summer. Sad, but true. Now you can re-organize your closet. And maybe you'll find some things that it's time to say good bye to too? Do so!Hang up the pieces that deserves to be hung, and fold the pieces that can be folded. Heavy knitts are better folded, they tend to loose their shape when they hang. I've organized my clothes by category: blazers, shirts, tops, dresses and so on. My jeans are folded, and so are my sweaters and some of my tops. Try to get a system. Organize your jewellery in boxes; earrings, rings, bracelets and so on, and if you can, hammer a nail into your wall and hang up your necklaces. Practical, but also decorative.
- After you've gotten a system you can live with until next season, keep reading fashion magazines, and write a list of what you need. Follow only the trends you like, and try to think of three combinations before you buy a piece of clothing (then you know you'll wear it at least three times). And try not to buy something eles instead of what you are really looking for (yeah, I know it's hard, and you're allowded to "slip" a couple of times ;), but just keep looking!
I hope you like my tips for a perfect fall wardrobe. I'm going to post some other posts with my favorite fall trends, and what I think is the best basic wardrobe.
My name's Marita. I'm a musician and songwriter from Norway. I'm interested in music, books, movies, clothes and more.
Points, comments and views that appear on this blog do not necessarily represent other members of the Grimskull band, the band's management, organization, crew, fans or other involved parties.